Although the MAX32664 User Guide outlines the necessary I2C commands and sequences to update the IC to the latest firmware, implementing this from scratch isn’t exactly straightforward. A solution typically involves 3 major components:
- A microcontroller and associated firmware to communicate with the MAX32664 over I2C and GPIOs
- Host PC software/scripts for reading .msbl file data and driving the microcontroller firmware in the right transaction sequence
- A serial API so that the host script and microcontroller can communicate
Luckily, Maxim provides a ready-made solution built around our MAX32630FTHR that can be used as a utility and as a reference implementation.
This guide will walk you through updating the firmware of a MAX32664 on a custom PCB using Maxim’s MAX32630FTHR_msbl_flasher tool.
- MAX32630FTHR + MAX32625PICO w/ JTAG Cable (The MAX32625PICO and cable are included in the MAX32630FTHR package)
- Your custom PCB with the SLAVE_SDA, SLAVE_SCL, MFIO, and RSTN pins of the MAX32664 exposed.
- The latest .msbl firmware file for your MAX32664 variant, available here.
- The latest release of MAX32630FTHR_msbl_flasher tool, available here.